August 23, 2011

A Tribute To Jack Layton


Whatever your political beliefs or affiliations, Canadians expressed a heartfelt sadness at the news of Jack Layton’s death on Monday.  Political discourse had become so tired in this country of late, and Jack’s interjection of enthusiasm, tenacity and optimism reignited our hope that change, and change for the better, is still possible.  

Yesterday I attended the memorial service at City Hall at 4 p.m. People from everywhere came to be together and share memories of Jack. I was able to sign the memorial plaque on behalf of the local.  What struck me about the crowd was the number of young people there telling their stories too about their recent involvement in the political world due to his inspiration. 

In his “Letter to Canadians”, he dedicated a section “To Young Canadians” and I would like to quote from that now.  

 As my time in political life draws to a close I want to share with you my belief in your power to change this country and this world.  There are great challenges before you, from the overwhelming nature of climate change to the unfairness of an economy that excludes so many from our collective wealth, and the changes necessary to build a more inclusive and generous Canada.  I believe in you.  Your energy, your vision, your passion for justice are exactly what this country needs today.  You need to be at the heart of our economy, our political life, and our plans for the present and the future.”

We can pay tribute to this great man by living by his words as we undertake our own battle here in Toronto to fight for “our public library” and the great city and services we have here in Toronto.  I too have been heartened by the participation and enthusiasm of our young members who have joined our campaign.

To City of Toronto Councillor Mike Layton and this family, on behalf of the membership of TPLWU Local 4948, I extend our heartfelt condolences. 

A leader lost too soon.

Maureen O'Reilly
President, Local 4948
Torontonians pay tribute to Jack Layton at a vigil on August 23 at City Hall

Introducing......Our New Union Logo!

Many thanks to Local 4948 member, Alex Berry, for designing our first Toronto Public Library Workers' Union Local 4948 logo.