Regrettably, on November 21, 2008, I resigned as Recording Secretary for TCEU Local 416. This also means that I have resigned from my positions on the Executive Committee and the Executive Board of the local. Unfortunately, this means that library workers have one less representative on the governing bodies of the local.
Despite the years of dedicated service to the local, where I functioned as one of the four main table officers, it was apparent when I returned from vacation in early November, that the atmosphere in the office had changed and that my position in the local was under question.
This was inextricably linked to my status as a library worker. Admittedly, this intolerable atmosphere accelerated with the departure of past President Brian Cochrane and the subsequent appointment of new President Mark Ferguson. Even I was surprised at the pace which these issues accelerated in a few short weeks.
Though library workers endorsed the concept of being part of a large municipal composite local, which we benefitted from and worked very hard to realize, issues have arisen over the years which make our role in Local 416 difficult to continue. The many political and organizational problems which we have been unable to resolve in Local 416 have had a very negative impact on library workers and our participation in the local, and these problems need to be addressed.
At a meeting with the Library Division Executive, including the Vice Chairs, on November 13, 2008, new President Mark Ferguson attended to discuss the situation. When asked why no library workers were invited to attend the Local 416 bargaining preparation meetings, he told us we were excluded because the library workers’ status in Local 416 was outstanding. President Ferguson then went on to say that he did not trust me. This came to me as a complete shock as this had never been an issue in the past, nor had it been raised since my return from vacation.
Due to the continuing deteriorating environment, precipitated by the lack of support from the new President, as well as the escalating harassing behaviour at me personally, I felt I had no other option but to resign. I submitted my resignation at a meeting attended by CUPE National President Paul Moist who acknowledged the declining conditions at 416.
At another meeting the following week of the Library Division Executive and Vice-Chairs, a motion was put forward and unanimously endorsed asking me to continue in my role as a union representative for the library workers and, more critically, to be involved in collective bargaining.
I have accepted the Library Division Executive’s offer to continue to work on behalf of all library workers and I thank them for the trust which they have placed in me. It is a responsibility that I take very seriously and that I will work very hard to fulfill. I also want to thank all of you for your support over the years which has contributed greatly to our collective success.
For now, I will be working out of the union office at Northern District Library. The phone number at that office is 393-7656. I can be reached via email at libraryunion@sympatico.ca.
Though these are difficult times, I want to assure you that collective bargaining remains our central focus.
The Library Division Executive will be approaching you soon with the information that you’ll need to make a decision regarding our continued membership in 416. It is with heavy heart that I support the decision to leave, but I strongly feel that we need to do so and that we need to do it now. This will be an opportunity for us to move forward albeit somewhat differently than in the past. I am looking forward to our future successes.
In Solidarity,
Maureen O’Reilly